This post may contain affiliate links/ads and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links/ads at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Techsphinx also participates in the StationX Affiliate program. You can read my full disclaimer here.
Tomato is a Linux based open-source router firmware project dedicated to routers with Broadcom chipset. It offers a user-friendly interface that makes it easy for beginners to use tomato firmware.
Most routers ships with stock firmware that is developed by the manufacturer of the router. Stock firmware is designed for easy user experience and avoids any advanced technical stuff that may seem confusing to the non-technical user.
However, custom router firmware projects like DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato etc. lift the restrictions of the stock firmware and allow full control of the device. It can greatly enhance the router’s features such as stability, privacy, network security and wireless connectivity.
There are many tomato firmware forks, the only one in active development is the FreshTomato firmware. The FreshTomato project offers downloads for all the routers mentioned in this article.
Here’s the summary of the best tomato compatible routers:
|Tomato Routers||Link to Product|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk (R7000)||See details at Amazon|
|ASUS AC1900 WiFi Gaming Router (RT-AC68U)||See details at Amazon|
|D‑Link DIR‑868L Wireless Gigabit Cloud Router||See details at Amazon|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR300||See details at Amazon|
|Linksys EA6900||See details at Amazon|
1. All these routers are Tomato firmware compatible. However, I am mentioning other interesting features of these routers. For full-specifications visit the official website of these routers.
2. The features mentioned here are for routers with stock firmware. Some of these features may not work with open-source router firmware.
3. These are not the only supported routers. Check the Tomato router firmware website to know about other supported routers.
4. The router mentioned here may have different versions. Some manufacturers create new routers using different hardware without changing the model number. Therefore, make sure you are buying the right version (one that is compatible with Tomato router firmware).
5. You should do your research about the latest firmware version in the Tomato forums/website before you proceed with the flashing process.
6. Flashing third-party firmware may brick your device. I/Techsphinx shall not be held responsible for any damages.
Best Tomato Routers
The first on this best tomato router list is Netgear Nighthawk R7000. It is a simultaneous dual-band WiFi router that offers a maximum speed of up to 1300 Mbps on the 5 GHz band and up to 600 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band.
This router has 3 high-performance external antennas that make it suitable for medium to large homes. Moreover, R7000 has Beamforming+ technology included for boosting speed, reliability and range of WiFi Connections.
Thanks to ReadySHARE technology, you can wirelessly access & share a USB hard drive using the two USB ports.
As for security, this router has double firewall protection, WPA/WPA2 – PSK security standard and DoS attack prevention. You can easily set up and manage Netgear R7000 using the Nighthawk app or through the web browser.
If you want a router that offers better streaming, gaming or video conferencing experience and is compatible with tomato router firmware, then check out this router.
Hardware Specs of NETGEAR Nighthawk (R7000):
|Processor||1GHz dual-core processor|
|Memory||128 MB flash and 256 MB RAM|
|Ports||1 x 10/100/1000 Mbps WAN port, 4 x 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN ports, 1 x USB 2.0 and 1 x USB 3.0 port|
|Buttons||WPS button, WiFi On/Off button, Reset and Power button|
|Antennas||3 x Antennas|
|Dimensions||11.22 x 7.26 x 1.97 in|
- Simultaneous dual-band (2.4 & 5GHz) WiFi router.
- Maximum speed of up to 1300 Mbps on 5GHz band and up to 600 Mbps on 2.4GHz band.
- Support for Voice-controlling WiFi network with Amazon Alexa.
- Beamforming+ technology to boost speed, reliability and range of WiFi Connections.
- Supports double firewall protection, WPA/WPA2 – PSK security standard and DoS attack prevention.
- Easy setup and management using the Nighthawk app or webpage.
Asus RT-AC68U is a dual-band gaming WiFi router that offers a maximum speed of up to 1300 Mbps on the 5 GHz band and up to 600 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band.
It supports AiRadar technology for increased WiFi coverage and strong connection across connected devices. Also, with the included AiMesh technology, you can connect the RT-AC68U to other compatible ASUS routers to create a powerful and flexible whole-home Wi-Fi network.
As for security, AC68U supports the WPA/WPA2-Personal, WPA/WPA2-Enterprise security standards. You can easily manage all the configurations through the Asus Router app or via the webpage.
The best thing about this router is that it is compatible with DD-WRT, Asus Merlin and Tomato router firmware.
If you want a gaming router without emptying your pockets that is compatible with Tomato router firmware, then give this router a try.
Hardware Specs of Asus RT-AC68U:
|Processor||1 GHz dual-core CPU|
|Memory||128 MB Flash, 256 MB RAM|
|Ports||1 x RJ45 for 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT for WAN, 4 x RJ45 for 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT for LAN, 1 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0 port|
|Buttons||WPS Button, Reset Button, Power Button, WiFi on/off Button|
|Antennas||3 x External antennas|
|Dimensions||6.3 x 3.3 x 8.6 in|
- Asus Dual-Band (2.4 and 5GHz) wireless router.
- Maximum speeds of up to 600 Mbps (2.4 GHz) and 1300 Mbps (5 GHz).
- Supports Asus AiRadar and AiMesh technologies.
- WPA/WPA2-Personal, WPA/WPA2-Enterprise security standards are supported.
- Supports multiple operation modes (Accesspoint, AiMeshnode, Mediabridge, Repeater, Router).
- Easy setup and management through a web browser or Asus Router App.
D-Link DIR-868L is a simultaneous dual-band wireless Gigabit Cloud router. It offers a maximum speed of up to 1300 Mbps on the 5 GHz band and up to 450 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band.
The 6 internal Antennas and D-Link’s Advanced AC SmartBeam technology make sure that you’re getting blazing fast wireless speeds to all your devices across your home.
DIR-868L uses the WPA2 wireless encryption standard. Moreover, through the mydlink web portal or via the mydlink Lite app you can easily control and monitor your WiFi network remotely, allowing you to block any unwanted visitors on your network.
The included USB 3.0 port allows you to easily share and access files across all your connected devices.
D-Link DIR-868L is a great router for general usage such as streaming HD videos, making internet calls, and surfing the internet from any corner of your home.
Hardware Specs of D‑Link DIR‑868L:
|Processor||800 MHz Dual-core processor|
|Memory||128MB NAND flash, 256MB SDRAM|
|Ports||1 x WAN (10/100/1000) port, 4 x LAN (10/100/1000) ports, 1 x USB 3.0 port|
|Buttons||Power button, WPS button|
|Antennas||6 x Internal Antennas|
|Dimensions||4 x 4.75 x 8.5 in|
- Dual-band (2.4 and 5GHz) Wireless Router.
- Maximum speed of up to 1,300 Mbps on 5 GHz and up to 450 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band.
- Easy file sharing to connected devices using the included USB 3.0 port.
- Backwards compatible with a/b/g/n Wireless standards.
- Monitor and manage your network from anywhere using mydlink web portal or mydlink Lite app.
Netgear Nighthawk XR300 is a dual-band gaming WiFi router. It offers a maximum speed of up to 1300 Mbps on the 5GHz band and 450 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band.
XR300 is integrated with DumaOS Gaming Software to provide a great gaming experience. Since this router is made for gaming, it will optimize the network performance by reducing lag and prioritizing online gaming.
It will control the maximum upload and download speed of connected devices to minimize sudden lag spikes while gaming. Moreover, this router is compatible with many gaming systems such as Nintendo Switch, Xbox, PlayStation, PC, mobile devices, and more.
Just like the previously mentioned Netgear router, XR300 also has double firewall protection and DoS attack prevention. You can manage all the router settings through the Nighthawk app or via a web browser.
If you want a gaming router that is compatible with tomato router firmware, then give this router a try.
Hardware Specs of NETGEAR Nighthawk (XR300):
|Processor||1.0GHz Dual-core processor|
|Memory||128 MB flash and 512 MB RAM|
|Ports||1 x 10/100/1000 Mbps WAN port, 4 x 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN ports and 1 x USB 3.0 port|
|Buttons||WPS button, WiFi On/Off button, LED On/Off button, Reset and Power buttons|
|Antennas||3 x External Antennas|
|Dimensions||7.20 x 11.22 x 2.44 in|
- Dual-band (2.4 and 5GHz) WiFi router.
- Maximum speeds of up to 1300 Mbps on 5GHz band and 450 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band.
- Provides a great gaming experience using DumaOS Gaming Software.
- Explicit Beamforming for 2.4 & 5GHz bands.
- Supports double firewall protection and DoS attack prevention.
- Easy setup and management using the Nighthawk app or webpage.
The last on this best tomato routers list is Linksys EA6900. It is a simultaneous dual-band WiFi router that offers a maximum speed of up to 1300 Mbps on 5 GHz and 600 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band.
Some other notable features of this router are; beamforming technology that reduces interference and optimizes performance and a DLNA media server that allows you to access and share media across devices on the network.
You can easily safeguard your network using the WPA/WPA2 encryption and the included SPI firewall. Moreover, you can easily set up and manage this router using the Linksys Smart WiFi app or via the webpage.
Linksys EA6900 is a great router for all general needs such as gaming, streaming, browsing. If you just want a basic router for your home that is compatible with Tomato router firmware, then check out this router.
Hardware Specs of Linksys EA6900:
|Processor||800Mhz dual-core CPU|
|Memory||128 MB Flash, 256 MB RAM|
|Ports||1 x Gigabit WAN (10/100/1000) port, 4 x Gigabit LAN (10/100/1000) ports, 1 x USB 2.0 and 1 x USB 3.0 port|
|Buttons||Wi-Fi Protected Setup, Reset, Power button|
|Antennas||3 x Adjustable antennas|
|Dimensions||7 x 10 x 1.25 in|
- Simultaneous Dual-band (2.4 + 5 GHz) WiFi router.
- Maximum speeds of up to 1300 Mbps on 5 GHz and 600 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band.
- Beamforming technology to reduce interference and optimize performance.
- DLNA media server to access and share media across devices on the network.
- WPA/WPA2 encryption and SPI firewall for security.
- Easy setup and management through Linksys Smart WiFi app or webpage.
This concludes the best tomato routers list. However, these are not the only routers that are compatible with Tomato router firmware. There are many other routers that support the tomato router firmware.